Kiwis are a popular fruit known for their sweet and tangy taste, but did you know that you can eat the skin too? That’s right, the fuzzy brown skin of a kiwi is actually edible and packed with nutrients. In this article, we’ll discuss the benefits of eating kiwi skin and provide some tips on how to prepare and enjoy this delicious fruit.
Benefits of Eating Kiwi Skin:
- Fiber-rich: Kiwi skin is an excellent source of dietary fiber. In fact, the skin contains more fiber than the flesh of the fruit. Fiber helps regulate digestion and keeps you feeling fuller for longer, which can aid in weight loss efforts.
- Nutrient-dense: The skin of a kiwi is rich in nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin E, folate, and potassium. These nutrients are essential for maintaining good health and preventing chronic diseases.
- Antioxidant properties: The skin of a kiwi contains a high concentration of antioxidants, which can help protect against cellular damage and inflammation.
How to Prepare and Enjoy Kiwi Skin:
- Wash the kiwi thoroughly: Before eating the skin, it’s important to wash the fruit thoroughly to remove any dirt or bacteria.
- Cut off the ends: Use a sharp knife to slice off both ends of the kiwi.
- Slice into rounds: Cut the kiwi into thin rounds, or if you prefer, peel the skin off with a vegetable peeler and slice the flesh.
- Add to smoothies or salads: Kiwi skin can be added to smoothies or chopped up and added to salads for an extra nutrient boost.
- Make a kiwi skin jam: Boil kiwi skin with sugar and water to make a delicious and nutritious jam.
In conclusion, eating kiwi skin is a great way to boost your nutrient intake and add some extra fiber to your diet. With its sweet and tangy flavor, kiwi skin can be a tasty addition to smoothies, salads, and even jams. So next time you’re enjoying a kiwi, don’t be afraid to eat the skin too!